UPDATED March 15, 2012
Please consider contributing to OKRA. While we are always happy to see your work on whatever relevant topic you choose, and we are particularly interested in the following topics…
Connections between the food, beverage, and related culture of the South and the Caribbean.
Work that is relevant to Charleston and Savannah
Southern Funerals – food, drink, related culture
Classic hotel bars of the South
Historic Hotels and their food and bars : stories, recipes, photos, analysis, profiles
Women behind the bar and in the kitchen: stories, recipes, photos, analysis, profiles
Send your inquiries to email@example.com
ALSO – do you think your thesis or other work is relevant to OKRA? Please email us if you are interested in publishing part of it.
How to Submit:
- To submit work to OKRA, email Stephanie Jane Carter, firstname.lastname@example.org Editor, OKRA
Guidelines for Submission:
OKRA explores, celebrates, and investigates the food, beverage, and related culture of the American South. Topics do not have to be specific to the American South. They can be more general explorations, as long as the topic is still relevant to the South. We accept work from most genres – law, agriculture, anthropology, nutrition, history, etc.
We encourage you to submit your ideas and write about what interests you. However, we are happy to work with you to develop a topic or idea. We have a small “wish list.” We accept original art, personal stories, journalism, music, audio, recipes, video, and photography for consideration. We accept book reviews and recipes.
Please include a 100-word description of your submission. If you are not submitting a finished piece, also include a writing sample, published or unpublished.
Please keep in mind:
- Submissions must be your own original work
- Language: English
- Text submissions should be between 400 and 3000 words
- A 100-word description should be included
- The Southern Food and Beverage Museum is a non-profit and is not in the position to pay writers at this time. We believe that writers should be paid and hope to be able to pay in the future. OKRA exists to support and further the goals and mission of the Southern Food and Beverage Museum.